Buying a new phone with the latest Android version is exciting. You get a ton of features to explore, and you can even download apps that revolutionize functionality. A few months or a year later your phone becomes very slow, and you rarely get new updates. You may think it’s a virus or the memory is full, so you clear any trash and clean your phone with the best anti-virus, but the sluggishness persist. Well, you can breathe new life into your Android phone by using a custom ROM. Whether you have a Samsung, Tecno, Huawei, Infinix or any other android phone, you can use the following post to know how to flash a phone.
What is a ROM?
Flashing a phone simply means modifying the operating system of your Android device and installing a new operating system and only occurs after rooting has been performed. Flashing helps remove any limitation that the Android manufacturer might have set in the device. There are two types of Read Only Memory (ROM): Stock ROM the operating system or software that comes with your device and custom ROM which is the modified version of the software.
Easy steps on how to track a phone number in Kenya
Benefits of flashing your phone
Flashing a phone is popular nowadays because it’s the gateway to fast updates and gives you total control over your phone. One of the most common complaints of Android users is that when it comes to firmware upgrades, manufacturers are slow. This is because before software is dispatched officially to the user, it must pass through several testing and get approvals from the manufacturer. All these processes and stages take time. By opting for a custom ROM, you get much quicker updates which can be as a fast as getting daily updates.
READ ALSO: How to Withdraw Money from Paypal in Kenya 2018: Access Your Cash Easily
Another benefit of flashing your phone is that it helps improve the battery life and improves performance. The custom ROMs do this by cutting the junk out which helps free up more memory and optimize the software which works to boost battery life. They also improve baseband which gives your phone better signal and increases the quality of your phone calls. Custom ROMs also help the user to install apps on SD card which is beneficial if you stock ROM prohibits it or phone runs out of space. Furthermore, when it comes to how to flash a phone using PC, custom ROMs have a ton of useful features which you can customize according to your taste and preference.
iPesa loan app interest rates, payment, contacts
It’s easy to get a custom ROM if you’re using a well-known brand of an android phone such as Samsung as a large percentage of the population contains these types of phones which helps the custom ROM community to be active. On the other hand, it can be quite challenging to find a thriving custom ROM community if your using cheap android phones whose brands are less known worldwide. For the cheap smartphones even if the custom ROMS are available, they can drain your battery faster or not support your hardware devices.
Is flashing your phone really worth it?
Before flashing your phone, you should be aware of the disadvantages. First, installing a custom ROM voids the manufacturer’s warranty and can result in loss of data including installed apps especially if you forget to back up. Another risk factor that you must consider when looking at different ways on how to flash your phone is that failure to root your phone properly can leave it in an infinite loop of booting.
Simple ways on how to upgrade Android version
Also, after rooting the new apps will be open source which puts your phone at risk. A custom ROM from an inexperienced developer can be loaded with a lot of stuff which can quickly drain your battery. If something goes wrong while you’re flashing a ROM, then it can’t be undone. Therefore if you don’t know what you’re doing but insist on flashing your phone then it’s best to take it to a professional but put all the disadvantage at the back of your mind.
Before looking for ways on how to flash a phone using a laptop, always remember that custom ROMs that are not known can be risky to your phone and you’re doing it at your own discretion. So do your homework. But if you partake in phone flashing, the possibilities that you get with a new custom software are endless.
How to flash your phone using Odin
Top spying apps to download in Kenya
Odin is one of the most preferred flashing tools for people who are looking for how to flash a Samsung phone. One of the essential requirement while using Odin as a flashing tool is that your android phone battery level must be at least 60% and your laptop or computer must also have enough charge.
- To start the flashing process first back up all your phones data like contacts, photos, videos, messages, and documents.
- Next, download the right driver software for your android phone and install them on your laptop. You can find the corresponding driver software on the official website of your brand’s phone. For example, if you’re flashing a Samsung phone then get the drivers at Samsung official website.
- Download and extract the original Stock ROM of your android device and extract it.
- Then download the Odin firmware files. After the download is complete, right click on file and select the Extract All option to extract the Odin firmware zip file. You can choose to download the latest Odin such as odin3 zip fife.
- After extracting, open Odin as the administrator to prevent any flashing issues.
- Power off your device.
- While the device is off, press the following three keys: hold the home, power, and volume down keys until your phone boots in download mode.
- Open Odin and connect your device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Odin will then automatically recognize your device, and then you will click the PDA and select a file that ends with .tar
- If your zip package has more than one file then select the file with PDA, then MODEM and then click on CSC button.
- Check the auto reboot and F boxes and the leave the rest unchecked.
- To start the flashing process, click the start button in Odin.
- After the flashing process is complete, your android phone will reboot.
- You can then disconnect it from your laptop and start using it.
10 best smartphones in 2021: Latest phones with prices in Kenya
How to flash a Tecno phone using SP Flash tool
Tecno phones are dominating the market, so it’s only logical that you know how to flash a techno phone. Apart from Odin, SP Flash tool has amazing capabilities. Here is a step by step instruction on how to flash your Tecno or any other android phone using SP Flash tool.
- First start by downloading all the required drivers which include SP Flash tool drivers, USB drivers, and stock ROM firmware files of your android phone.
- Extract the stock ROM file. When the extraction process is complete, you will find the android scatter file.
- Next, switch off your android phone.
- Extract the SP Flash tool software, run it as administrator by opting to right click on the SP Flash tool.exe file and launch it on your laptop.
- On the SP flash tool, click the scatter button and open the scatter file,
- Then choose the stock ROM firmware file you downloaded it’s usually in a .txt format. To avoid bricking your smartphone, make sure you mark all boxes except DSP_bl and Preloader.
- Select the download option in SP Flash tool to start the flashing process.
- While your phone is switched off, connect it to the PC using a USB and then press volume up or down on the phone.
- The flashing process will then begin. Wait for the process to complete after which you will see Download OK and below it a green circle with a tick confirming the end of the flashing.
- Close the SP Flash tool screen, disconnect your phone from the PC.
Timiza app download for Android and iOS
Your Android device is now flashed and ready to use.
What’s your take on how to flash a phone? Feel free to leave your insights at the comments section.
Source: Tuko News
View more information: https://www.tuko.co.ke/268745-how-flash-a-phone-manually-free.html